5×10 Bathroom Remodel Cost: The Ultimate Guide
When it comes to considering the various areas and rooms of a property that deserve the most care and attention, it would be fair to say that the bathroom is right up there near the top of the list. It might not be the space where you spend the most time at home, but it is a space that serves some of the most important functions for good quality of life and home comfort. For that reason alone, the prospect of paying out for a 5×10 bathroom remodel cost is something that needs a lot of thought and planning.
What is a 5×10 Bathroom?
Typically used as a master bathroom, a 5×10 or 50-square-foot bathroom is spacious. The room’s size permits a variety of design options, including a shared 1⁄2 or ¾ bathroom, but a full bathroom is utilized the most frequently.
Most of the time, this type of 50-square-foot bathroom is used as a master bathroom. Usually, inside the master bathroom, anyone can easily fit a jacuzzi or an enclosed shower in the bathroom.
Setting A Budget for 5×10 Bathroom Remodel Cost: What To Consider
For the majority of homeowners, the thing that is going to have the most sway in a bathroom modeling project is how much money there is available to spend. When setting a budget for a bathroom remodel, here is a brief but essential list of things to consider:
- How much work actually needs to be done? Are you starting from ground zero, or are there some existing elements in the bathroom that you can keep and work with?
- How quickly do you want the project to be completed?
- How much do you need to have removed before you are able to begin? Bathroom demolition cost is a big factor.
- What kinds of materials are you hoping to use? The best materials obviously require a larger budget.
- Are there any permits and inspections that need to be paid for before considering other things like materials and labor costs?
- Do you want to improve the resale value of your home? If so, then a higher 5×10 bathroom remodel cost will result in a higher value.
DIY vs. Hiring Professionals
There are plenty of people around the country who feel like they are proficient enough in DIY to be able to complete a bathroom renovation all by themselves. The tools and materials at a person’s disposal these days are better and more advanced than they have ever been, but at the same time, there is nothing quite like leaving the responsibility of a remodel in the hands of professionals who have done it a million times before. Here are just a few of the biggest benefits and advantages that are associated with choosing to spend the 5×10 bathroom remodel cost on hiring professionals rather than opting for DIY:
- The most obvious advantage is in the fact that professionals have the expertise and experience that even the most enthusiastic DIY-er possesses.
- Professionals can complete larger-scale projects in a much more efficient manner than a DIY-er.
- The pure quality of the workmanship is, frankly, incomparable.
- Professionals are much more clued up on the various levels of code compliance that are needed for a bathroom remodel.
- Professionals have a much better point of access to all of the best resources.
- Relying on a professional to complete your project is not only safer for you, but also provides a higher level of health and safety compliance across the board.
Designing Your 5×10 Bathroom
For many homes across the country, a 5×10 bathroom is the average space that people have to work with when planning a remodeling project. Whilst this is nowhere near the largest space that you can have to play with, there is still plenty of opportunity for clever and innovative design within the area. To help you achieve the best possible results in your own home, here are some of the biggest areas of consideration when it comes to designing and setting a budget for a 5×10 bathroom remodel cost.
The best way you can maximize space in a 5×10 bathroom remodel is to be smart with your storage choices. There is a wide range of vanity cabinetry that can provide surprisingly large amounts of storage without taking up too much floor space. In addition, things like floating shelves can provide extra storage opportunities that don’t impinge on the floor plan.
Choosing Fixtures And Materials
Much of the overall aesthetic is going to be dictated by the choice of fixtures and materials. From the actual quality of the wood and more, to the colors that you decide to go with, the fixtures and materials really do make or break the overall look of a bathroom remodel project. They also have a major influence on the 5×10 bathroom remodel cost.
Lighting is another vital element of a 10×5 bathroom design, setting not only the mood and tone of the space but also providing the practical functionality that a room with so many personal requirements has. You want to make sure that you plan for plenty of lighting around vanity spaces, as well as plenty of lighting around the bath and shower units. Lighting choices are very important for a 5×10 bathroom layout with shower.
Labor Costs: What To Expect
5×10 bathroom remodel labor cost can vary greatly across the United States depending on a number of different factors. On the whole, the project will require demolition, plumbing, electrical work, tiling, cabinet installation, and finishing touches, all of which can start to add up. Some things to consider when anticipating the labor element in a 5×10 bathroom remodel cost include:
- Where in the country your property is located? Major cities are always going to command higher labor rates due to the higher cost of living.
- The complexity of the work you want to be completed. The more complicated the job, the more money it will cost.
- The varying labor rates of skilled trades people (carpenters, plumbers, electricians, etc.).
- The anticipated timeline of the project.
- What kind of permits and inspections need to be undertaken?
- The quality of the materials that you choose to be used.
- The level of experience that the contractor you hire has.
Plumbing And Electrical Work
Both plumbing and electrical work are vital components for any 5×10 bathroom remodel cost. Proper plumbing ensures the efficient and correct functioning of all of the essential fixtures like shower, toilet and sink, all bathroom elements that you cannot do without. Professionally installed plumbing systems also prevent unwanted issues like water damage and leaks that can cause so much trouble to the structural integrity of the space.
On the other end of the equation, electrical work is crucial for things like lighting, working ventilation and the safe functioning of all and any electrical appliances that you might have in your new bathroom. Appropriate lighting helps to enhance the aesthetics and functionality of the bathroom, and it goes without saying that proper ventilation helps to control moisture levels and maintain a nice indoor air quality.
Allot for a sufficient budget for highly qualified plumbing and electrical contractors when setting your remodel cost.
Installing Fixtures And Cabinetry
A lot of your remodel project time will be taken up with making decisions on the various vanity products that are available for your bathroom.
When thinking about cost, this is again an area of the remodeling project that offers a wide range of options at very different price points, so it really depends on how much of your budget you want to allot to the fixtures and cabinetry versus the basic labor costs.
Of course, the cheaper the cabinetry, the lower the overall 5×10 bathroom remodel cost is going to be, but keep in mind that you may well end up spending more than the original cost of the better cabinets through more frequent maintenance and eventual replacement.
Flooring And Wall Finishes
For flooring and wall finishes, there are again a wide range of pricing options that you can choose from. It all depends on the overall end quality that you are looking to achieve.
With flooring, the two main options tend to be ceramic/porcelain and vinyl. On average, ceramic or porcelain tiles can cost anywhere in the region of $3 to $10 per square foot, with labor raising the total to $5 to $10.
Vinyl flooring is seen as a slightly more budget-friendly option, with materials and labor adding up to around $3 to $7 on average.
The two main choices for wall finishes in a traditional bathroom remodel are ceramic or porcelain tile and paint. Similarly to the flooring costs, you can expect to pay anywhere between $7 and $15 per square foot depending on the intricacies of the wall itself.
Painting is certainly the more affordable option compared to tiling, with the cost of a whole 5×10 bathroom space being somewhere in the $50 to $150 range depending on the brand and quality of the paint chosen.
Final Touches: Accessories And Decor
It would be fair to say that the final touches are the area of the bathroom remodel project that can lead a homeowner to get a little bit carried away and blow the original budget for the 5×10 bathroom remodel cost out of the water! Depending on the level and style of your personal taste, there really is no limit to how much you can spend on various bathroom accessories and finishing decor elements.
The nature of final touches means that all of the main work of your bathroom remodel will already have been completed, so by the time you get to this stage, you should already have a good idea of how much wiggle room is left in the budget that you originally set for your project.
Remember, finishing final touches don’t have to be made right away. Your bathroom will be finished and functional, and if you want to save up to be able to spend some extra cash on the finishing touches that you want rather than compromising, then there is nothing wrong with that plan of action.
Unexpected Costs And Contingencies
As with any type of home renovation project, there is always the risk of incurring unexpected costs along the way. It is likely that you will hit a couple of obstacles at some point that will push up the 5×10 bathroom remodel cost, with some of the most common including:
- Structural issues that are discovered mid projects like water damage, rot, or problems with the underlying framework. Addressing these unexpected issues will obviously add to the total cost of the remodel.
- The presence of mold or asbestos, both issues that need to be addressed quickly and professionally.
- Any electrical or plumbing problems that might be uncovered when walls and floors are opened up.
- Last-minute changes to custom designs that might require more work from team members like architects or project managers.
- Potential delays in the delivery of fixtures and materials, which might lead to an additional amount you need to include in your 5×10 bathroom remodel cost for labor.
It is sensible to split the timeline of a bathroom remodel project up into several distinct portions and milestones. Though each individual job is always going to vary slightly, you can expect the total project timeline of your bathroom 10×5 remodel to look something like this:
- Planning And Design – At best, this is a part of the process that will take between 1 and 2 weeks, including making the 5×10 bathroom floor plans of the remodel, choosing materials and fixtures, and potentially obtaining any permits that are needed.
- Demolition – For a complete change, you will need to remove old fixtures, tiles and other unwanted materials, and this can take 1 to 3 days for a smaller 5×10 bathroom.
- Plumbing And Electrical Work – The plumbing and electrical foundations have to go in next, and depending on the complexity of your situation, this can take between 1 to 2 weeks.
- Framing And Drywall – For any walls that need to be moved, you should expect a timeframe of around 2 to 5 days depending on the difficulty of a 5×10 bathroom layout.
- Flooring Installation – For a new floor to be laid down, it should take around 1 to 3 days.
- Tile Installation – Tiling is slightly more tricky than flooring, with the added elements of intricate design, sealing, and grouting. This can take 1 to 2 weeks.
- Cabinetry And Fixtures Installation – Things like countertops, cabinets, toilets, sinks, and more will usually take a total of 1 to 2 weeks to fully install.
- Painting – Multiple coats of specialized bathroom paint will take between 2 and 4 days to complete for a 10×5 bathroom layout.
- Final Touches – Final touches include things like mirrors, shower doors, towel bars, and more, and depending on how eager you are to complete the job that can take between 1 to 2 weeks.
- Cleaning And Inspection – To really clean a bathroom and make sure that it is ready from the remodeling process, you should expect a timeframe of 1 to 2 days.
- Final Walkthrough – Once you think absolutely everything is done, take one more day to do a final walkthrough of your 10×5 bathroom design to address any issues or concerns that might still be lingering.
Average Cost of 5×10 Bathroom Remodel
The expenses associated with renovating a 5×10 bathroom vary from $5,000 to $10,000. These measurements are used to define a full-size bathroom. It is also big enough for an alcove with a tub and shower or a separate tub and shower.
You can change how the room is arranged in 50 square feet. You can install a linen tower unit, a double vanity, or a corner tub. However, if you remodel your bathroom through a construction company, the cost could go from 25 thousand dollars to 30 thousand dollars.
Tips For Saving Money
Unless you have an unlimited budget, you are always going to be looking for ways to lower the total 5×10 bathroom remodel cost. Here are some of the best tips for succeeding in saving money during a time like this:
Start With A Realistic Budget
If you are as realistic as you can be at the start of the planning process, then it allows you to make better decisions for your bank balance along the way.
Prioritize The Essentials
The most cost-effective way to complete a bathroom renovation is to prioritize all of the absolute essentials first. This means that you will get to the point of having a functioning bathroom first, and then you will be able to assess your budget and determine how much more you are able to spend on the finishing touches.
Reuse Existing Features
If you don’t have to start completely from scratch, then don’t! If there are any valuable fixtures in the space that don’t need a replacement, save some money by keeping them and just refreshing them instead.
Compare Contractor Quotes
Don’t make the mistake of accepting the quote from the very first contractor that you get in touch with. Don’t be afraid to play the field and communicate with a number of local experts in your area, you might be surprised by the differences in price that are offered for a rectangular 5×10 bathroom layout.
Lighting is definitely an area in which you can stand to make some good savings when you make the smartest choices in a bathroom 5×10 in size. Consider things like making the most of any natural light that you have at your disposal, and then boosting that with energy-efficient LED bulbs that have proven to be big money savers over time.
Conclusion: Your Dream 5×10 Bathroom
Hopefully, reading through this guide will give you a good idea of what it takes to complete a successful bathroom remodel in your home. Of course, if you hire a great contractor for the project, a lot of these separate responsibilities will be taken out of your hands and left with the professionals, but it is always a good idea to be as educated on the topic as you can be.
When you have a good understanding of all of the various elements of bathroom renovation and 5×10 bathroom ideas, it means that you can build a more effective working partnership with the professionals that you hire, and this can lead to lower overall 5×10 bathroom remodel cost as you will be able to make decisions for yourself along the way to make the best possible outcome.